Content API for Shopping and Google Ads API updated for country targeting
With the addition of the feed label field, updates to the country targeting for retail items have started.
Newer versions of the API. We informed you last month that Google will be doing away with country targeting criteria, and replacing them with a feed label field. Some of the improvements that Google has mentioned for these new features are:
Commercials on Google
- When creating a Shopping or Performance Max ad campaign, the feed label parameter in ShoppingSetting may be modified by any Google Ads account. Both the Google Ads user interface and the Google Ads API allow you to change the feed label.
- We’ve begun the phased implementation of feed labels in the Merchant Center UI, which began on September 14th, 2022. When this option is available in the user interface, retailers will be able to customize the feed label to any valid text when creating a new feed.
In the Content API:
- Products created using the Merchant Center user interface but missing target Country and just having feed Label.
- Items having “Feed Labels” that Do Not Consist of Country Abbreviations.
Overview of the API’s Behavior. In addition, Google has provided the following explanation about feed labels current API behavior:
- Products. the insert may only be called on items that have the same feed label and destination country. At the moment, Products. the insert may fail if you don’t provide a valid country for delivery. If you’re solely interested in the target nation, then this behavior hasn’t changed.
- To target a specific nation, you must also specify that country in the shipping property of the goods resource after setting the feed label to a valid 2-letter CLDR territory code. Setting the nation field in the shipping property to match the value of a new feed label, such as “US,” is required. One or both of these areas may need to be filled out before the product may be sold in that nation. Using the Merchant Center’s graphical user interface, you may set up ad targeting for a whole feed.
- Products created using the Merchant Center user interface may only have their feed labels (and not their target countries) defined, which can result in a false positive when using Products. list or Products. get.
- Once a feed label is assigned to a product, it will be included in the Id of that product moving forward. Similarly to how language works, this prevents you from editing the product’s feed label. Create a new product with a new product Id if you want to modify the feed label.
Following this. Google said they will begin accepting Products once the distribution of feed labels is complete. insert commands where the feed label is replaced by any string. We want to make the target country optional.
The Content API for Shopping data feeds resource will be modified to include feed labels.
Inquire further. You may see Google’s official statement in its entirety at this link.
So what gives? Instead of specifying a target nation, developers utilizing APIs for content or shopping campaigns may instead utilize the feed label. There is an “opt-in” and “opt-out” button for these functions.